Aboriginal Coaching Programs
ABORIGINAL COACHING MODULE
In order to educate and promote the value of the NCCP and to establish meaningful participation of Aboriginal peoples in this national program, the ASC embarked on a multi-year process to develop supplemental training material for Aboriginal coaches taking NCCP workshops.
The result of this process is the Aboriginal Coaching Modules (ACM), which responds to the need for a national training curriculum with content that reflects the uniqueness of Aboriginal cultures, values, and lifestyles.
To host this Free workshop in your community please contact [email protected]
2023 Winter ABORIGINAL APPRENTICE COACHING PROGRAM (AACP)
The AACP is a partnership between the Aboriginal Sport Circle (ASC), the Provincial/Territorial Aboriginal Sport Bodies (PTASBs), the Provincial/Territorial Coaching Representatives (PTCRs), the Canada Games Council (CGC), and the Coaching Association of Canada (CAC). The program provides the opportunity for each province and territory to send 2 coaches of aboriginal ancestry to the Canada Games in apprenticeship roles.
Alpine Ski / Ski alpin
Para Alpine / Ski para-alpin
Archery / Tir à l’arc
Boxing / Boxe
Cross Country Ski / Ski de fond
Para Nordic / Ski paranordique
Curling - Female / Femme
Curling - Male / Homme
Curling - Mixed Doubles / Double mixte
Fencing / Escrime
Figure Skating / Patinage artistique
Special Olympics Figure Skating / Olympiques spéciaux Patinage artistique
Freestyle Ski / Ski acrobatique
Gymnastics - Artistic / Gymnastique artistique
Gymnastics - Trampoline / Gymnastique - trampoline
Hockey - Female / Femme
Hockey - Male / Homme
Karate / Karaté
Ringette / Ringuette
Speed Skating - Long Track / Patinage en vitesse - Longue piste
Speed Skating - Short Track / Patinage en vitesse - Courte piste
Table Tennis / Tennis de table
Wheelchair Basketball / Basketball en fauteuil roulant
Objectives of the AACP
- Build coaching capacity within aboriginal communities;
- Provide aboriginal apprentice coaches with domestic multi-sport games exposure;
- Provide aboriginal apprentice coaches with professional development and learning opportunities to prepare them for high level coaching and ensure an increase in their level of NCCP to a minimum of Competition – Development, Trained. (Apprentices complete training within 12 months following the Games);
- Expose aboriginal apprentice coaches to elite/high performance coaches; and
- Ensure aboriginal apprentice coaches are prepared to handle a meaningful role during the Canada Games experience.
- December 3rd Public Interest application form opens
- January 13 – General Interest Form Deadline
- March 17, 2022 – Coach Selection Deadline
- PEI Winter Games Feb - March 2023
Please contact Mike Hudson at [email protected] if you have any questions abouit the program.